Tuesday, May 22, 2012

In the Kitchen : Every Piece of a Whole Chicken

A couple mondays ago I had a whole chicken to cook. Normally I season it the night before I cook it and then slow cook it the next day in the oven. I didn't do that this time since Chris has been getting tired of me roasting chickens (even though its so tasty!!) This time I cut up the chicken and oven fried it (I think that's the right phrase). I love cooking a whole chicken due to the fact that I save so much money. When I roast it I use what wasn't eaten and use it in other dishes. (I've done stir fry many times with this method.) Then with the bones I just boil them and make chicken broth and it normally tastes better than the store bought stuff too. :) A whole chicken for me costs around $6-$7. So by the time it is done I've used it about 3 or 4 different ways and it costs less than buying the pre cut stuff. Granted that is more time cutting it up but its worth it to me to just do it myself.
While the chicken was cooking I took what was left of the caracas and boiled it in some water with some veggies to make some homemade chicken broth. :) The chicken broth is now in the freezer for when ever a recipe calls for it I can just pull it out and use it. 

I also prepared bread while both of those were cooking, but I don't have any pictures of them finished. 
They came out perfectly chrispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I am sad to report that they tasted gross. :( I'm not sure what happened, it might have to do with my fridge and or oven. When my mom and I cook it at her house it tastes really good, but I haven't had a loaf that turned out good at my apartment. 
*Edit: Forgot the y in every in the title

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a peek at my blog, feel free to leave a comment. I always enjoy reading comments and definitely like feedback. Have a fantastic day, and thank you for visiting my lovely blog. <3 Meggerz :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...